The Hechinger Report is a national nonprofit newsroom that reports on ane topic: education. Sign up for our weekly newsletters to get stories similar this delivered directly to your inbox.

Vinlisa Khoeum
Vinlisa Khoeum

My eyes started to glaze over as I read the seemingly endless questions contained in the 10-folio federal financial assist awarding. I had to complete the class so I could get the money I needed to attend college. Some of my high school classmates had parents, older siblings or friends who'd gone to college to turn to for help.

Me? I was on my own. This was last summertime every bit I started the process of getting ready to enroll as a first-twelvemonth student. I'd later observe myself away from home for the offset time equally a showtime-generation college student at Loyola Academy New Orleans. To say I had a lot on my plate is an understatement.

I grew upwards in Plaquemines Parish on the Gulf Coast, most a 90-infinitesimal bulldoze from New Orleans. The town is more often than not made upwards of commercial fishermen who work on the coastline. My parents are originally from Cambodia. My dad is a commercial fisherman and oysterman during the cold flavor, and my mom is an oyster shucker.

It's a rural community with a lot of seasonal workers and small schools. Many of the teachers I had growing upwards came to the commune for a twelvemonth or two and so moved on. Forming a human relationship with them was a challenge. As the kickoff in my family to nourish college, the journey to a university in New Orleans was a huge step.

Related: Get-go-gen students at elite colleges go from lonely and overwhelmed to empowered and provoking change

While the school was non geographically that far from home, it was daunting to know I'd exist separated from family. I knew I would miss the comfort and familiarity of abode while I was away at school. As I later learned, my experience is far from unique. Nationally, 34 percent of undergraduates are also the first in their families to attend college. Students like usa are much less likely to end up on the graduation stage than our peers whose parents finished college.

Fortunately, my college understands these challenges, and my start year has been a smashing success. I've fabricated friends, become more contained and succeeded academically. Here are three key insights I've learned that I would similar to share.

Develop a clear career and personal focus.Before I enrolled, I was already excited near what the university has to offering. I've always been passionate about the arts — especially music. I am a huge hip-hop and R&B fan, and in loftier school I was president of our arts club and role of a program for those who are talented in the visual arts. My high school didn't have much in the mode of arts and music programs.

Related: New supports for beginning-gen students: Helpful or a drop in the bucket?

So I was truly excited past the level of music educational activity bachelor at my university. Information technology's the reason that I came to Loyola and it fits into my plans for subsequently I graduate. Focusing on classes that I'm passionate almost and that lucifer my career goals has given me a source of motivation and drive.

Seek out mentorship and back up from those effectually you lot.Faculty and staff are at that place to support you — and that'south something we equally students must embrace. Before arriving on campus, I thought that spending extra time with students would exist also much for decorated faculty, simply I've plant that they are always willing to meet later on class and during function hours or to ready time to answer questions.

"Sometimes, there is a stigma around request for help when yous feel deep down that the expectation is to try your all-time to accomplish things independently."

Student success coaching is another resource I've used to work through the challenges that I'one thousand experiencing. My coach helps me stay on rails and get back on my anxiety whenever I'm feeling down or stuck. I tin can't really get to my parents for advice on navigating college didactics since they never went to college and have limited formal instruction. And then information technology's been great to accept someone to talk and text with whenever I need guidance or a sounding board for my ideas. It has really helped me arrange to, and thrive in, college life.

Related: STUDENT VOICE: Nosotros must offer underprivileged students more than a meager 'stay in school'

I chose Loyola because of its small, close-knit community, and this customs has been a huge source of comfort. The people here are incredibly 18-carat and friendly, and they desire to help you lot grow.

Brand plans to accomplish your goals.I made it my goal to graduate with a 4.0. Many of my peers thought I was crazy and said things similar, "It's higher. Relax. It's not loftier schoolhouse anymore." Only I was determined to get my grades up to a iv.0 by the stop of the semester. Working with kinesthesia and my success passenger vehicle to develop a plan to reach this goal, I put in identify a process for finding specific times of the day to work and stay organized, and found a residue between academics and my social life. Afterward a lot of sweat and hours in the library, I achieved my goal and earned a 4.0.

In planning how to reach my goal, it was helpful to know I had an unbiased perspective from someone who wants to see me succeed. My bus has always been very supportive of everything I'm going through, and I'one thousand really grateful for that.

Related: 5 things American colleges demand to practise to help blackness and Latino students

Equally a get-go-generation college student, I accept seen that seeking out the right resources and advice is actually far wiser than trying to go information technology lone. I feel like information technology helped me notice my strengths and build connections, non only to individuals but as well to the school community every bit a whole.

The college experience is exciting but besides challenging — especially if your parents, siblings and extended family haven't gone through it. Sometimes, there is a stigma around asking for help when you feel deep down that the expectation is to try your best to attain things independently. I grew upward in a family that prided itself on difficult work and self-reliance. Information technology'due south been a surprising learning experience merely rings true: Making the nigh of the resources around you is a sign of personal strength, not of weakness.

This story was produced byThe Hechinger Study, a nonprofit, independent news organization focused on inequality and innovation in education. Sign up for our newsletter .

Vinlisa Khoeum is a educatee at Loyola University New Orleans and a native of Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana.

The Hechinger Report provides in-depth, fact-based, unbiased reporting on educational activity that is costless to all readers. But that doesn't mean it's costless to produce. Our work keeps educators and the public informed about pressing issues at schools and on campuses throughout the country. We tell the whole story, even when the details are inconvenient. Help the states keep doing that.

Join us today.

Vinlisa Khoeum is a pupil at Loyola University New Orleans and a native of Plaquemines Parish, Louisiana.